Adult Oncology Inpatient Unit
The John Stoddard Adult Oncology Inpatient Unit is located on the third floor of the Powell wing at Iowa Methodist Medical Center. An interdisciplinary, holistic and family centered approach is central to our care delivery. Our team includes, but is not limited to, pharmacy, pastoral care, nutrition services, respiratory care, physical therapy, social services, case management, care coordinators, nursing, surgery and medical and radiation oncology to provide a comprehensive spectrum of care.
The Stoddard Adult Oncology Unit underwent a complete renovation in the fall of 2007 and re-opened to patients on February 25, 2008.
- Flat screen televisions and DVD/VCR combination players
- Couches that convert to sleeping surfaces for families
- Lighted handrails for patient's safety
- A private chapel on the unit
- A healing garden and patio with a new water fountain and special lighting that illuminates the walkway for night viewing
- Cancer Help computer to provide up-to-date education from the National Cancer Institute for patients and families
- A family laundry/shower area to provide amenities for families that choose to stay with their loved one
- A whirlpool room to provide a soothing spa atmosphere for patients
- Sound reduction cupboards and drawers
- Wireless internet access
- Updated Milton P. Riepe solarium where patients and their families can relax and visit
Our dedicated staff of nurses are encouraged to seek certification by the Oncology Nursing Society. This benchmark of excellence ensures the standard of quality our patients and referring physicians appreciate and deserve. We diligently assess individual patient needs and respond with a personalized plan of care grounded on solid clinical principles.
Adult Oncology Inpatient unit provides:
- Relational care and healing support from a large group of hospital volunteers
- Social service and case management assistance to match our patients with needed services
- An oncology clinical educator to provide individualized patient education and staff education
- A clinical psychologist to address emotional aspects of the cancer experience
- Chaplains for the spiritual needs of the cancer patient and their families
- An extensive library of books, videos, CDs and brochures
Our ultimate goal is to give patients and families knowledge, power and confidence as they go through cancer treatment. For more information or to contact one of our inpatient staff members, please call (515) 241-8700.