John Stoddard Cancer Center
1221 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
- Beginning at age 50, men and women should follow on eof the examination schedules below:
- Fecal occult blood test (FOBT) or fecal immunochemical test (FIT) every year and flexible sigmoidoscopy (FSIG) every five years
- Colonoscopy every 10 years
- Double-contrast barium enema every five years
- Your doctor should perform a digital rectal exam at the same time as the sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy or double-contrast barium enema. People with a higher risk for colorectal cancer (those who have had colorectal cancer or polyps, or who have inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis, or with blood relative who have had colorectal cancer) may need to have these tests done earlier and more often. These individuals should talk with their doctor about a different screening schedule.